A Response to some of the points raised at the Parish Meeting
- Immediate action is required including a cull of the 'problem' goats. - Who is to decide which are the problem
goats and how will they know?
- Compensation is required for those people badly affected by the goats. - Those living in the wonderful wildness of
Exmoor should take the responsibility of protecting their property with fences and/or walls. However, it should
not be possible for goats or other animals assigned to the Valley of Rocks to escape into the village (or traverse the
- The problem will become worse during the summer period. - Why should it?
- The goats had been introduced into the Valley by the Friends of the Goats and were not actually a native species. -
They were not introduced by FOG. If they were a totally native species would they be less trouble?
- There was a danger of harm to visitors and locals from the goats. - Untrue
- The goats had become used to the human population and were now 'facing up' to people. - They are less timid
because they thought they had friends - they are likely to be disillusioned.
- The goats eating floral tributes on the graves of relatives was causing great distress. - It is doubtful
whether the goats are the main source of damage.
- There were too many Billies in the Valley and they were debarking trees which would cause these trees to die.
- Most of the trees are outside the grazing area which is one of the problems.
- The Town Council should be allowed to manage the goats and reduce the number without interference from
outside. - No one from outside has interfered with the management of the goats. In a free society however, people
from anywhere are entitled to express an opinion and we are entitled to disregard it.
- The Friends of the Goats have no management policy and this had lead to there being too many big old Billies.
- Are the old billies the problem? Is it not the young billies who wander and fertilize the nannies? In any case
it is immaterial whether the FOG has a management policy or not because it has no power to implement or opportunity to